In our continued effort in keeping you informed of dangers that may be lurking around the house this season to keep your cats and dogs safe for the holidays, here is an important article we hope you will take a minute to read! Most of us probably already have something in our handbags or laying on our counters that contain this ingredient!
Most everyone already knows that chocolate should be kept out of reach of pets. There is another threat to be concerned about that is even more common in our houses! The new types of artificial sweeteners contain ingredients even more dangerous than chocolate. The main culprit is the artificial sweetener, Xylitol. Xylitol is found in gums like Orbit. What makes this ingredient dangerous is that, although the human body can metabolize these complex molecules, the canine body is unable to do so. Also, it seems that once they contact Xylitol in particular, it tastes so sweet that they find it literally irresistible.
The animal can experience an overdose even from a single piece of gum. The net effect of all this leads to a Grand Mals type seizure within 24 hours of ingestion. The animal may experience as many as 3 more seizures within a 24 hr. period. These symptoms are caused by an apparent acute onset of hypoglycemia, which causes lack of coordination, collapsing and seizure. If your pet ingests a product with Xylitol, please head straight to the nearest ER Clinic!
An Article from ASPCA:
Dog owners beware: The number of dogs harmed from ingesting xylitol, a sugar substitute used in sugar-free chewing gum, toothpaste and baked goods, is on the rise, according to a recent report from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Center.
Most dogs that have ingested small amounts of xylitol might be affected but not show signs until up to 12 hours afterward. Signs your dog has ingested a product containing xylitol as a sweetener include an abrupt drop in blood sugar, vomiting, depression, loss of coordination and seizures.
If you find that your dog has consumed a product containing xylitol as a sweetener, call your veterinarian immediately. If the dog is exhibiting symptoms, take the dog to the vet’s office right away.
To prevent xylitol poisoning, dog owners should be aware of products that often contain xylitol as a sweetener, and keep those products out of reach of their dogs. They include: candy, chewing gum, breath fresheners, smoking cessation aids such as nicotine gum, toothpastes, sunscreen and some vitamins and diet supplements.
For further informative reading, please click here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2875
Thank you pet friends! If you have time, please leave a comment for us so that we can continue to provide you with informative content. Let us know what you think of this post! Thank you!