Skip to main content

Happy Holidays!

Yappy Holiday’s 2015! 

Please don't forget to check out all of our pet expert pages for assisting you in your holiday pet shopping and needs!
Professional Photo Courtesy of A Dog's Life Photography
With the holiday's here and many of us with deadlines for shopping, decorating and visiting friends, please keep in mind that the holiday’s can be stressful for our pet’s as well. New faces, guests, and pet sitters can add to that stress. Each time a guest enters your home pets can be exposed to a new level of stress. Some positive, some negative. Some pets are locked away while guests are in their home while others are allowed to roam free. Doors, gates and garages are opened and closed frequently. The opportunity for escape is hard to believe! Winter holidays are one of the top seasons of the year that pets are lost.

Microchip your pet! This aides in recovering lost pets all year round. It is your pet’s personal identification number. The Veterinarian implants the chip under your pet’s skin, between the shoulder blades. 

  •  Please inform your guests not to feed your pet scraps. 
  • Please do not allow children to harass your pet 
  • Please keep a routine for your pet 


Never give your pet chocolate! 

It can be highly toxic to animals! 


Chocolate can cause stomach cramps, constipation and diarrhea. It is all too common to see pets with vomiting and diarrhea after a holiday. Some become seriously ill.

Dangerous Holiday Paraphernalia: 

  • Plastic six pack beverage holders 
  • Electric cords 
  • Glass ornaments 
  • Ribbons and tinsel. 
  • Foil 
  • Rubber bands 
  • Pine needles. If your pet ingests a pine needle, there is a danger of internal organs being pierced by the needles 


A view of potentially poisonous plants 
from Dr. Michael Knight

Poinsettias: 
Dr. Michael Knight, a veterinarian at the ASPCA’s National Poison Control Center in Urbania, Ill. 
Said: “Poinsettias have a history of being fairly toxic. More recently it’s been found that they are not what we consider life-threatening at all. Occasionally we’ll get a call where a dog has eaten a large quantity of the poinsettia plant.

The dog will have some digestive upsets, vomiting and diarrhea—but I don’t think we’ve actually seen any deaths associated with poinsettias over the years---- and we’ve gotten hundreds of calls. 
In our opinion, they are not a hazard to dogs or cats. Neither are Holly Berries and Mistletoe,” says Knight, who added that the Poison Control Center doesn’t get many calls about pets ingesting holly berries, mainly because the leaves are thorny and spiny and don’t taste great. 
  • Mistletoe is not considered deadly but Knight warns that the plant does contain a natural compound that can cause heart problems. 
  • Don’t be afraid to decorate for Christmas. Just taking a few precautions will ensure the safety of your family and your pets to have a safe and wonderful holiday. Just to be safe, place those beautiful holiday plants up high and out of reach of pets and children. " 

The Dangers of Xylitol in dogs

Most everyone knows that chocolate should be kept out of reach of dogs.
By now you’ve also heard about another threat that is common in many household items and food. Xylitol.

The new types of artificial sweeteners contain ingredients even more dangerous than chocolate.

The main culprit is the artificial sweetener, Xylitol. Xylitol is found in many brands of gum and candy.

What makes this ingredient dangerous is that, although the human body can metabolize these complex molecules, the canine body is unable to do so. Also, it seems that once they contact Xylitol in particular, it tastes so sweet that they find it literally irresistible.

The complex un-metabolizable molecule is actually a sugar alcohol not a true sugar. Due to its inability to be broken down like normal sugars by the liver and pancreas, it fails the kidneys to filter it out like other un-process able substances. However, the action of the kidneys is not enough to prevent the level of Xylitol in the blood from reaching a critical level. The animal will experience an overdose, even from a single piece of gum. The net effect of all of this leads to a Grand Mal type seizure within 24 hours of ingestion. Dogs who consume xylitol also are at risk of liver failure for unexplained reasons in some dogs that consume it. 

The animal may experience as many as 3 more seizures within a 24 hr. period. These symptoms are caused by an apparent acute onset of hypoglycemia which causes lack of coordination, collapsing and seizures. If your pet ingests a product with Xylitol please head straight to the nearest ER Clinic!

Signs
that your dog might have ingested products containing Xylitol as a sweetener can show up quickly, sometimes within 30 minutes of eating the product. According to Dr. Eric Dunayer, a veterinarian and toxicologist for the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, dogs that have ingested small amounts of Xylitol might be affected but not show signs until up to 12 hours afterward. Signs your dog has ingested a product containing Xylitol as a sweetener include an abrupt drop in blood sugar, vomiting, depression, loss of coordination and seizures.

If you find that your dog has consumed a product containing Xylitol as a sweetener, call your veterinarian immediately. If the dog is exhibiting symptoms, take him to the vet’s office or the nearest emergency animal hospital immediately.

To prevent Xylitol poisoning, dog owners should be aware of products that often contain Xylitol as a sweetener, and keep those products out of reach of their dogs. 
They include: candy, chewing gum, breath fresheners, smoking cessation aids such as nicotine gum, toothpastes, sunscreen and some vitamins and diet supplements.

It has now been shown that cats are NOT at risk!

Recent information has revealed that xylitol is not known to be toxic to cats. They do not develop low blood sugar, nor do they develop liver failure. Prior to this the presumption was made, based upon extrapolation from dogs, that cats would suffer similar effects. Due to the fact that cats don’t frequently expose themselves to xylitol, it apparently took quite a while for all of the information to come out.

24 hour emergency Hospitals & ASPCA Poison Control

Photo courtesy of
Visual Harmony Photography

  • Emergency Animal Clinic: (EAC) (Gilbert) 480-497-0222. 
86 West Juniper Ave. Located at Gilbert Road between Guadalupe and Elliot on the west side of the road. Gilbert, Az 85233.
  • First Regional Animal Hospital: (Chandler) 480-732-0018. 1233 W. Warner Rd. Chandler, Az, 85244. On The SW Corner of Alma School and Warner. 


· 1st Emergency Pet Care: (Mesa) 480-924-1123
1423 S. Higley Rd, Ste. 102, Mesa, Az, 85206. Us 60 and Higley

· EAC in Scottsdale: 480-949-8001
14202 N. Scottsdale Rd. Scottsdale, Az, 85254.

· VCA Paradise Valley Emergency Animal Hospital: 6969 E. Shea Blvd. Suite 225. 480-991-1845




  • ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 1-888-426-4435
(Expect a Consultation Fee. Have a Credit Card available)


The Az Pet Professionals 

wish you all a very happy holiday season! 
Photo courtesy of
Visual Harmony Photography





Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NATIONAL "ADOPT A SHELTER DOG" MONTH

SNAKES IN ARIZONA

Article written by Kim MacCrone-CVT 






Okay, we all live in Arizona because the weather is almost perfect, the sun is almost always shining, the golf courses are luscious, there are multiple and beautiful wide open spaces and endless hiking trails! 

Surprisingly enough these are also places where some “not so delightful” inhabitants hang out in our state! You've heard the news this past week...... Snakes bites are on the rise!! Again! 
Here are a few simple tips to help keep you safe.



If you hike: 
 • Tap ahead of you with a walking stick before entering an area where you can't see your feet. Snakes will try to avoid you if given enough warning. • When hiking in an area known to have snakes, wear long pants and boots if possible
 • Consider purchasing a snake kit Avoid rock piles or tall green grass/bushes where snakes like to rest. 

About 150 people in Arizona are bitten every year. 
Some of Arizona’s rattlesnakes can also be lethal. 

Scottsdale is notorious for having snakebites and s…

National Adopt a dog month

National Adopt a dog month  And National Adopt a Shelter dog month




Are you thinking about adopting a dog? Has the thought crossed your mind in the past few months? If so, that's great! This is the perfect month for you to get down to business and do just that!

You might be looking simply for a companion, maybe a hiking pal, a friend for your grandparents or parents, how about an agility hopeful, or just a happy, warm face to welcome you home each day? Then this might just be the perfect timing!




Across the valley there are numerous places that you can choose from to adopt a dog. Many Shelters are full and have weekend discounts so they can open up space for new dogs. Unfortunately some will be placed on the E-List almost immediately due to its breed, temperament or health.

A dog that is on the "E-List" (to be euthanized) is commonly a dog that might have growled when captured or put into a kennel, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are aggressive.


They were SCARED.
I say …

Labels

Show more

Please Consider Donating

Your One-Stop Resource for hiring trusted pet services!

Your One-Stop Resource for hiring trusted pet services!

Shop Amazon!

White background photographs have been legally purchased for a Standard License for use by:

Royalty Free Licenses purchased from iStock and/or Eric Isselée/Lifeonwhite.com
www.lifeonwhite.com
License, Jill Flynn, www.visualharmonyphotography.com, www.cowdreamz.com, www.itsadogslife.com