Top things you can do to protect your pets during the summer heat
- Never leave your pet/s in the car. Sounds simple, doesn’t it? We wonder then; why does this continue to happen? This is a weekly topic on the News. Why? Most of the time the pet owner is completely aware that they left their pet in a car but thought the pet would be okay. Yes, COMPLETELY aware! It is NOT okay to leave a child or an animal in a car when it's hot outside. Never. Please remember this every day.
- Make sure your pet/s have unlimited access to fresh water wherever they are! That means outside too. Most pet owners keep their pets in the house during the day but there are many people who have doggie doors. Let's not assume your pet will make it back inside to get a drink. Leave a non-tip bowl outside as well just in case. If you need to eliminate pesky mosquitos, place the dish away from the doggie door but not too far.
- Make sure your dog has access to shade when outside. Simple, easy thing to do. Dog house, crate, tree?
- Take walks during the cooler hours of the day like early am or late pm. This includes bike riding too! There are far too many people jogging or riding bike with their dog when it's too hot out. This is simple common sense.
- When walking your dog/s stay off of hot surfaces (like asphalt) because it can burn your pets's paws! If you are a frequent walker, purchase booties made for dogs to protect their feet.
- If you think it's hot outside, it's even hotter for your pet! Think about that for a minute. Why do most people think an animal is not hot when we are?
- Keep your dog free of external parasites fleas, ticks and heartworms – consult your veterinarian about the best products available for your pet.
- Consider clipping or shaving dogs with long coats (You may want to consult with your dog’s groomer first!) and apply sunscreen to your dog's skin if she or he has a thin coat or is white.
- Never chain your pet outside! If they become tangled they may not be able to reach shade or water! Never chain a dog outside!
- Baby pools used for Splash Time! Place the pool in the shade, clean out the pool daily so you don't attract mosquitoes and empty it at night. Use constant supervision while your pet is enjoying Splash Time! Watch your children and pets around any water source!
Thanks pet parents!