- Don't leave your pet out in the yard on Halloween: There are plenty of stories of vicious pranksters who have teased, injured, stolen, even killed pets on this night.
- Trick-or-treat candies are not for pets: Chocolate is poisonous to a lot of animals, we've all heard that. But this week we are talking a TON of chocolate, not just a small bite! Tin foil and cellophane candy wrappers can be hazardous if swallowed.
- Be careful of pets around a lit pumpkin: Pets may knock it over and cause a fire. Curious kittens especially run the risk of getting burned. Children are also susceptible do hazards with their costumes so please keep them away from lit candles too!
- Don't dress the dog in costume unless you know he loves it. Otherwise, it puts a lot of stress on the animal.
- If you do dress up your dog, make sure the costume isn't constricting, annoying or unsafe (again, choking and fire hazards.) Be careful not to obstruct their vision
- Even the sweetest dogs can get snappy when they can't see what's going on around them.
- All but the most social dogs should be kept in a separate room during trick-or-treat visiting hours; too many strangers in strange garb can be scary for a dog.
- Be careful your cat or dog doesn't dart out through the open door.
- KEEP ALL BLACK CATS INDOORS! With the history of superstitions, black cats are a target for many of this holiday’s evil pranks. Our best advice would be to keep ALL cats inside!
How does the microchip work?
The microchip is generally injected deeply under the skin. It sits safely there, totally inert. A special scanner is used to send a radio signal through the skin of the animal to read the chip. The animal feels nothing as the scanner is passed over him. The microchip sends it’s number back to the scanner. It appears in the viewing window as, for example, AVID 220*609*321.